Ohio Senator Coley Introduces Bill to protect Sexual Predators
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Senator Bill Coley (R-Middletown) introduced SB 383 today, a bill that protects sexual predators in the workplace. This proposal would grant immunity to managers and supervisors who harass and intentionally discriminate against employees based on sex, disability, age, race, religion, military status or national origin. Sexual harassers will be “off the hook” from personal liability.
“I’m saddened that Senator Coley would introduce legislation that discriminates against women, the disabled, minorities, veterans, the elderly and all others who are employed in the state of Ohio” said Fred Gittes, Legislative Counsel for the Ohio Employment Lawyers Association. “We should be looking for ways to improve the working environment in Ohio to keep qualified employees here rather than eliminating protections and allowing hostility and racism in the workplace.”
“We oppose the bill because it makes it cheap for employers to discriminate against employees by placing severe limits on what an employee can recover for intentional discrimination,” Gittes added.
SB 383 is similar to HB 300 introduced in the 125th General Assembly. That bill received two hearings before the Republican-controlled House shelved it. This bill should also be rejected, because Ohio should hold individuals and employers who discriminate against or harass Ohio workers fully responsible for their illegal conduct. Ohio workers who suffer discrimination should have access to full and equal remedies under state law.
For additional information on this attempt to gut Ohio's anti-discrimination laws, please contact:
Margolius, Margolius & Associates
55 Public Square
Cleveland, OH 44113
The Gittes Law Group, LLC
723 Oak Street
Columbus, OH 43205
OELA Press Releases
- Ohio Senate Bill 268 Guts Ohio’s Laws Prohibiting Discrimination against Women, Older Workers, Employees with Disabilities, Veterans, Minorities and Religious EmployeesFeb 24, 2016
- Legislation Robs Women, Minorities and People with Disabilities of Protections Against Discrimination and Harassment in the WorkplaceFeb 3, 2016
- Ohio Senator Coley Introduces Bill to protect Sexual PredatorsOct 20, 2012
- Another Attack on Ohio Workers: Draft Bill Seeks to Gut Ohio’s Laws Prohibiting Sex, Age, Race, Disability and Other Forms of Discrimination by Eliminating Protections for Most Ohio WorkersDec 9, 2011
- OELA Opposes Ohio Chamber Legislation Gutting Civil Rights ProtectionsOct 24, 2011
- Are millennials job hoppers? In-house lawyers vary on the answer based on their generation18 hours ago from ABA Journal
- Alabama chief justice is blocked from office for a second time21 hours ago from ABA Journal
- Florida Supreme Court approves mandatory tech CLE classes for lawyers1 day ago from ABA Journal
- SCOTUS accepts case of autistic child to rule on education benefits for kids with disabilities1 day ago from ABA Journal
- 10 Questions Live: How lawyer Phillip Stone brought Sweet Briar College back to life2 days ago from ABA Journal